The EFTA Surveillance Authority (ESA) monitors compliance with the Agreement on the European Economic Area (EEA Agreement) in Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway, enabling those States to participate in the Internal Market of the European Union.
ESA is an international organisation, independent of the States, which safeguards the rights of individuals and undertakings under the EEA Agreement, ensuring free movement, fair competition and control of state aid. ESA's work helps remove barriers to trade and open up new opportunities to over 500 million Europeans, creating jobs and growth and adding to the international competitiveness of the States.
ESA is based in Brussels. It currently employs 76 staff members of 19 nationalities. ESA is led by a College consisting of three members, each appointed for a period of four years by the three participating EFTA States.
Deadline for applications 31-03-2019 Job Reference 10/2019 Role Description ESA is recruiting a Legal Officer in the Internal Market Affairs Directorate (IMA), to work in the field of transport. The successful candidate will be assigned responsibility for general surveillance work and case handling regarding the implementation and application of EEA law relating to transport (safety, security, freedom to provide services and establishment) in the participating EFTA States (Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Norway).
The successful candidate will join the IMA Directorate, which is responsible for monitoring the EEA EFTA States to ensure that they comply with their obligations in the field of internal market law. This position sits within the Transport Unit of the Directorate.
For this position, in light of the make-up of the team and operational needs, we are looking for an experienced transport lawyer, with at least 3 – 5 years’ experience from the public and/or private sector. Experience with security audits in an international context would be advantageous but is not essential. As the successful candidate will be required to handle legal and other documentation in Norwegian, Norwegian language skills are essential for this position.
Tasks will include examination of complaints, legal conformity assessments, drafting of decisions, opinions and reports, and may include participation in aviation and maritime security inspections. Depending on the overall needs of the Authority, the responsibilities may be changed to cover other general or specific issues relating to EEA law
• University degree in law or other equivalent qualification in law
• Minimum 3-5 years relevant professional experience
• Very good knowledge of EU/EEA and transport law
• Relevant working experience from the private or the public sector
• Ability to read, interpret and explain to others, legal and other documentation in Norwegian
• Excellent command of written and spoken English (ESA’s working language), including legal drafting ability
• Excellent organisational, analytical, interpersonal and communication skills
• Initiative and the ability to work both independently and in a team in an international environment
• Ability to travel, primarily to the EEA EFTA States, depending on the tasks assigned
• Ability to obtain security clearance
• A postgraduate degree in EU/EEA law and/or in the field of transport law (maritime, aviation, road or rail)
• Inspections or auditing experience
• Knowledge of other EEA EFTA languages (Icelandic or German)
This position will be filled in accordance with ESA’s Recruitment Policy available at: https://jobs.eftasurv.int. Former ESA staff members are eligible to apply provided the closing date is at least three years after their departure date. In exceptional circumstances, this requirement may be waived. The three-year requirement does not apply in the case of applications from current or former ESA temporary staff, trainees and seconded national experts. Current and former EFTA Secretariat and EFTA Court staff may apply for positions in ESA at any time.
The position is placed at grade A4 of ESA’s salary scale, the precise step being determined depending on the relevant experience of the successful candidate, with a likely starting salary of between €93 700 and €98 600 per annum. Depending on personal situation and family status, additional allowances and benefits may apply. Tax conditions are favourable.
Type and duration of appointment: fixed-term contract of three years, renewable for a further three years if desirable and in the interest of ESA. Candidates must be nationals of the States party to the EEA Agreement (EU + EEA EFTA) at the point of application and the time of any offer being made.
ESA actively seeks to promote a healthy work/life balance and a working environment allowing its staff members to develop their professional skills and interests.
- All applications must be made online at: https://jobs.eftasurv.int
- Deadline for applications: 31 March 2019 (midnight CET)
- Interviews: May 2019
- Start date: September 2019
Applications submitted in response to this vacancy notice may also be taken into account for the purpose of filling other vacancies arising for similar positions within ESA.
Questions regarding the post may be addressed to Valgerður Guðmundsdóttir, Deputy Director Transport Unit on +32 (0)2 286 1815 / firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions regarding the recruitment process may be addressed to Kathryn Bryan, Head of HR on +32 (0)2 286 1832 / email@example.com.